Get on the phone. Call your representatives. This spreadsheet does practically everything except the dialing.
Cease to do business with big banks. Move your money to a credit union (no fees!) or support a local bank.
Consider contacting and/or boycotting these companies.
Consume less, create more. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Pick up trash. Grow things. Even a pot of herbs by the kitchen window can remind us of our connection to the planet (and reduce packaging/emissions). Buying directly from local farms benefits the environment and supports your local economy (plus your food will taste better).
Move your body. Breathe deeply. Be in nature. Be with other humans. Listen. Call a friend. Journal. Look for role models. Be a role model. Volunteer. Practice gratitude. Be kind. Unplug. Tune in.
Walk, bike, carpool. Allow other vehicles to merge. Travel at a safe speed.
My friend Daryl Wein posted this amazing list to Facebook (social media isn't all bad):
Want to know what specific action you can take post-election to help turn things around? Zoe and I made a list! Re-post and share with others. We would like to encourage you to really double down and commit to action; not just to talk the talk, but to walk the walk if you care about the future of our world. Many important issues are under attack like climate change, immigration, reproductive rights..etc. As much as we would like to, we cannot just resort back to life as usual. Actually do something! 1 hour a week, it's not that hard! Make a reminder on your iCalendar if you have to. Here's a practical list of action items you can start with....
1) Support Keith Ellison for DNC Chair
2) Oppose Stephen Bannon for Trump's Chief Strategist
This is a known anti-semite, misogynist, racist, and his appointment is being celebrated by Neo-Nazi's countrywide. The most effective way is to call. It takes 2 minutes! They have to pick up. Make your voice heard.
Paul Ryan- (202) 225-3031
Mitch McConnell- (202) 224-2541
3) This is a great resource to figure out any phone number of a senator or congressman in your area to call and fight for an issue you believe in with a guide for talking points!
4) Donate to state-level Democrats in fierce recount/run-off battles
North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper, a pragmatic progressive in an important swing state, needs your help. Roy is ahead by 1,600 votes in the race for Governor of North Carolina, but facing a potentially expensive recount, he needs to raise $1 million to ensure every vote is counted. Roy's opponent, the incumbent Governor of North Carolina, signed one of the most homophobic pieces of legislation in modern history, and presided over poll closings and other tactics clearly designed to suppress the vote on November 8th. Contributions of even $100 will help ensure that North Carolina will get the pro-choice, environmentally conscious governor its voters chose on Tuesday. Click here to contribute.
Foster Campbell is headed to a run-off against John Kennedy for Senator of Louisiana. Let’s help him seize this opportunity to pick up another seat in the Senate and move the count to 49 Democrats vs. 51 GOP.
This is just one of the wonderful activist groups out there trying to make a difference called Art Not War/Humanity for Progress started by Sarah Sophie Flicker and Laura Dawn. They have over 100k subscribers already and are wonderful at organizing around important issues.
6) Donate to Standing Rock:
The Standing Rock Nation needs help in defending their sacred land and clean water from the Dakota Access Pipeline.
7) Donate to these organizations that need our help now more than ever if you care about abortion rights and racism and gun control...etc. You can give $5 bucks, it helps!
-Southern Poverty Law Center
-National Resources Defense Council
-Everytown for Gun Safety
-Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund
-CARECEN, the Central American Resource Center
-National Day Laborer Organizing Network (NDLON)
8) Support Investigative Journalism like ProPublica.Org, Mother Jones, Ms. Magazine, the Women's Media Center, and the Nation by subscribing....
Trump has been more than clear that he will be incredibly punishing towards the press, and with Stephen Bannon in tow, Freedom of the Press hangs in the balance. You may feel disappointed in the media's coverage of Trump, but the free press needs our support.
9) Frustrated over election coverage and fluff pieces and click bait pieces...etc, which only helped Trump get elected? These are the email addresses of the "public editors" at these news outlets, who are supposed to monitor the reporting ethics of the orgs. Write to them and tell them you want better reporting next time
10) Myron Ebell, a man who doesn't believe in climate change is set to be in charge of the Environmental Protection agency under the Trump presidency. How bout that for irony. If you believe in science and our environment, sign this new petition!
The White House already removed one crucial petition with 100,000 signatures to remove him, which is outrageous. They are not listening to the people. What can you do? Call those motherfuckers... find your representative below and make your voice heard!
11) Not seeing something to do on here for you, go create something on your own! A small piece of art, a video, a song, a dance, a poem... whatever you can make and share it with the world. Self expression is the best expression.
Lastly and most importantly, take care of yourself. There is a lot of fearful, painful energy bubbling up right now. Find the support you need - therapy, community, creativity, exercise, healthy food, adequate sleep and rest. Our best selves are required now.